Team USA

Team USA
Sloan's Lake

01 December 2008

Still Fighting

I’m STILL working on trying to figure out how to get my body to work again. I’m going to physical therapy once a week, seeing different physicians and just trying to get it figured out. It’s tough now that we actually have some decent snow to not be out on the hill. The crazy part is that I was ski racing for months (maybe years) with my hip not in the socket properly and now that it’s all fixed up I’m worse off than I was the day before my surgery. I KNOW I needed this surgery and it wasn’t an option, but now I just want my body back.

The first races of the season are next week but for the first time since 2003 I won’t be starting. That's hard emotionally but I know there are worse things in life other than not being able to ski race.

I’m trying to be smart and take care of my body rather than beat it up. I haven't skied since opening day and I'm hoping the extra time off snow will pay off, maybe just maybe things are about to turn around. It'd be so nice to be back to work on the ambulance and back out in sun and the snow skiing. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful.

1 comment:

HipSk8 said...

Hannah -
Thank you for your comment on my blog. I appreciate your honesty. You're the first serious athlete I've found who is post-PAO and willing to talk about the decrease in abilities. Many people having PAO have not been very athletic due to pain throughout their lives so it has been difficult to find people in a similar situation. We do need to be very realistic, but also keep fighting to get our strength and skills back.

I'll be following your progress. I hope you just need more time. I've heard it can take a year to get back to "normal." For you of course "normal" means a lot more than it does for an non athlete.

Good luck, keep me posted. Terri