Team USA

Team USA
Sloan's Lake

10 June 2014

Kisakallio

I would have never guessed that getting into the right that boat would make my life so much better! From that moment on I felt like a different person! The next days at Marjanienmen were spent getting time on the water paddling rather than struggling to balance. 

I was fortunate enough to borrow the Viper 55 to go to the training camp at Kisakallio in Lohja. This was an opportunity of a lifetime. I joined the camp of paddlers from all around Finland including the Finnish National Teams for kayak and rowing. The best part was that an Olympian and former Finnish National Team member, Anne Rikala personally coached me. She is an incredible person, terrific paddler and a wealth of information. My week in Kisakallio was incredible and I made huge leaps of progress with my paddling in my time here. I am truly blessed for these opportunities!

My next step is returning to the USA to attend LakePlacid International Regatta in the beginning of July. That race will serve as a qualifier for the 2014 U.S. Paracanoe team as well as a selection race for World Championships in Moscow, Russia. No matter what the outcome of the race next month, my big goal is going to the Summer Paralympic Games in Rio 2016 and that is where my focus lies. I will take everything that I have been so fortunate to learn here and apply it to being a better paddler, athlete and person in the future. Dreams don’t come true without the support of many people and my road to Rio just got shorter with the help of everyone here in Finland. Kiitos!

Below are some photos by Katja Saarinen from the camp:
Happy Day!
Start practice- photo by Anne 


Anne with the boys
Learning


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just spotted your blog! Nice tor read of your paddling and training.keep up the brilliant work!