Team USA

Team USA
Sloan's Lake

19 February 2015

What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You Stronger

A long time ago while on the road at a ski race, a teammate had purple toes from very tight ski boots mixed with cold temperatures and I was appalled! He just looked at me and said, “Eh, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.” At the time, I thought it didn't exactly apply to the situation but reflected on his words. I have since repeated them, to myself and others, many times in many different situations because often times part of growing stronger does come with some pain.

The past couple weeks paddling at Kenmore-Cascade Canoe and Kayak club I have been getting stronger. I am getting better in the new boat and I have had some absolutely sensational days on the water! We were even fortunate enough for the sun to bless us with its presence for several days in a row!

Not so fortunately, I have also continued to fall out of the boat. Just when I think I’m figuring things out and doing better, SPLASH, back in the water I go. I get hauled out of the lake, climb back in the boat and continue with the workout. During this process I keep being reminded that everything that makes you go faster also makes you more unstable.

It seems just when I start to worry that I’m never going to figure it out, Mother Nature smiles at me and then the next workout goes better than any prior day. The other morning was no exception. After a true test of perseverance the previous day, I didn't even want to train. I made myself go anyway, and when I showed up the air temperature was whopping 38 degrees. I was so tentative because I just didn't think I had it in me to go swimming. That’s not a good way to train. Finally, I let go of my apprehension and relaxed, started putting more weight through the paddle, and worked on my reach. I am glad to report that I thankfully kept my boat upright and my body out of the water for the WHOLE workout! I needed that! Hard work really is rewarded! I will keep pushing, and I will get faster and stronger!


U.S. Team Trials race in Oklahoma City is just over 9 weeks away, and I plan to be fast enough to qualify for World Cup! 

No comments: